Sunday, February 22, 2009

Textured fantasy fish paintings





In the early 90s, I started a series of fantasy fish paintings that had a heavy texture. I called the series my "Textured Fish paintings". After doing so much tight airbrush painting, I needed to do something that had a wild rough texture. So I got some modeling paste. Opened the jar and used my fingers to wildly wipe it onto hard board. It gave me a sense of freedom to just make a mess. Well I had to dig the modeling paste out from under my fingernails but hey I felt better. No cutting frisket to airbrush. The first painting is called "Blue Freedom" which described what I felt like with this new technique. The next painting is called "Moon Dancers". I took the shape of the shadow of the moon crater and just repeated it. As the shapes come forward they turn into fish. All of these paintings have been studies of shape, color and texture. I use acrylic paint to block in the underpainting and then do dry brush acrylic on top with light colors to just catch the top of the texture. There are a few closeups so you can see the texture. Freedom is a good thing.
art love
Jeff

1 comment:

  1. These are some of my favorite paintings of yours Jeff. I love the way they glow, as if lit from within. The texture quality is amazing as well. I'm glad we explored this technique at Art Night.

    ReplyDelete